Managing Unstructured Data Across Railroads, Platforms, and Cargo in Railways
Maintaining operational excellence within a railway system is a multifaceted challenge. For any entity overseeing a railway operation, the task goes beyond handling records linked to railroad cars and tracks. It extends to upholding the integrity of documents delineating bills of lading within cargo operations, and verifying the operational status of platforms, among others.
For railway tracks, meticulous records must be kept of engineering work to uphold safety, quality, and operational adherence to standards.
Similarly, further documentations are required and essential to demonstrate the operational integrity of railcars traveling on these tracks.
Did you know?
At any given moment, 20% of a standard rail fleet is engaged in maintenance.
Which means that on average, rail companies rely on operating the remaining 80% of their fleet with laser-sharp efficiency to avoid delays.
Moreover, comprehensive records detailing the design, installation, and ongoing maintenance of platforms within the railway system necessitate thorough oversight.
This array of documentation originates in diverse formats including CAD/CAM, images, MS-Office, and MS Exchanges files, and attachments embedded in emails, among others.
In the realm of the cargo management, the task lies in maintaining precise records of bills of lading and delivery points within the railroad system. Managing these varied data types poses a significant challenge.
Last but not least, the immense amount of disparate data spread across various departments and systems compounds the complexity of managing operational data for railroads. As the industry navigates the challenges posed by this data deluge, an effective solution becomes imperative to unlock the untapped knowledge and insight within this vast repository of information.
Challenge At Hand:
The challenge is threefold:
- Intricate task of managing documents across numerous applications and diverse formats, both originating within and outside of the railway system.
- Absence of a defined and uniform framework for generating "documents of record" across platforms, cargo, and railway functions has led to a deficiency in monitoring progress and achieving operational objectives.
- Inability to effectively harness the extensive wealth of scattered information and insights dispersed across disparate databases, hindered the establishment of coherence and seamless accessibility to invaluable resource.
The solution required by the client was an interoperable "middleware" capable of integrating with disparate systems, formats and generating audit-ready documents.
Adlib's Transform Platform emerged as the ideal choice, serving as a high-performance document processing middleware while seamlessly integrating and streamlining document transformation across systems and applications.
Embrace Adlib Transform
Adlib’s Transform Platform has been deployed at this railroad system. Acting as a central hub, Adlib’s document-driven ecosystem orchestrates information swiftly, without human intervention, and renders documents of record across railroad, cargo, and platform operations in a searchable, auditable, organized and optimized structure. This implementation yielded several key benefits:
- Connect the disconnected siloed operations for predictive maintenance into a continuous “readable – searchable” document repository enhances transparency, accountability, and regulatory compliance, while facilitating effective data retrieval and analysis.
- Manage all documents related to cargo operations into an enterprise repository, ensuring auditability and operational integrity of the process. This fosters a safer, secure and resilient railway operation.
- Establish a centralized repository where all stakeholders involved in platform-related activities including design, installation, or maintenance have access to uniform documents, eliminating version or format conflicts and promoting seamless teamwork.
The natural progression involves enhancing insights from the railway systems' predictive maintenance capabilities. By extracting critical data elements from the "readable-searchable" document repositories, operations will be further optimized.
Adlib's Transform AI Platform capabilities will extract insights from multiple unstructured documents, such as maintenance manuals and repair records. These insights can be combined with sensor data to provide a comprehensive view of equipment health and performance.
In this journey, Adlib remains committed to propelling the transportation system toward increased efficiency, operational excellence, and informed decision-making.
Speak to one of our experts for a personalized demonstration of our market-leading solutions today.